Stephen F. Austin High School was built in 1929. It opened its doors to students in September 1930. The students who came from Austin Jr. High (now known as Houston Elementary School) requested that the new school have the same name, colors, mascot, and traditions.
R.E. McKee Construction Company built the school. An old Spanish mission architectural style was used. The main building is constructed of light tan bricks and is fireproof. Sloping parts of the roof are covered in red Spanish tile. The structure is crowned by a 103-foot tower. The classrooms have marble floors and the hallways are floored with terrazzo.